Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Godhead

            Nephi discusses the Doctrine of Christ in 2 Nephi 31, one of the best chapters in the Book of Mormon to explicitly list out the five points of Christ’s doctrine. However, in class I learned something I had never before noticed in this chapter. Throughout the chapter, Nephi hears the voice of Christ, and the voice of God the Father. The Spirit is also mentioned. Nephi is not only illustrating that the Godhead (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) are three separate beings, but also that inspiration can come from any member of the Godhead. I always associate getting answers to my prayers with the Spirit, never considering that revelation could come to me from Christ or from my Father in Heaven. In this chapter, Nephi illustrates that the Godhead not only are distinct beings, but they have distinct voices. In 2 Nephi 31:11-12, it reads: “And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.
"And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost like unto me, wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.”  (Boldness was added for emphasis)

 However, my teacher told us not to get caught up on small points in the scriptures that are not well-known and said that instead we need to focus on recognizing what is being said to us by God or the Spirit, rather than who said it. The Godhead truly is one in purpose, and for a lot of us, one in voice. Someday in the future, I hope I can know my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ well enough to distinguish their individual voices, but for right now, I need to put my focus on being able to recognize when I am feeling the Spirit and acting on the promptings I receive. I hope you will take this to heart and strive to hear and recognize promptings from God, knowing that each member of the Godhead loves you and wants to help you on your journey here on earth. Christ has encouraged you, and your Heavenly Father has sent His love. I know as we become better at hearing and acting on the promptings we receive, we will have more light and knowledge given unto us, and one day will know the voice of our Savior and Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment