Friday, February 3, 2017

The Testimony of Two Nations

During this week, I have had had so many experiences that have made me realize just how wonderful and true the Book of Mormon is. As I was reading through it this week, I came upon a passage that perfectly describes how the Book of Mormon and Bible fit and work together. In 2 Nephi 29:6-8, Nephi quotes God, who chastises those who say they already have a Bible and need no more scripture. In these verses, the Lord asks, “Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews? Know ye not that there are more nations than one?” The Lord goes on to say that He has led many people around the world and has commanded them to write. “Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.” I love how this fits with the LDS doctrine of revelation. When God speaks to a prophet, it is considered like scripture. God works in the same ways as he did in times of old. He has called a prophet today and commands him to write, just like the prophets in the Bible.
 In addition to gaining a spiritual witness from God that this book is true, there are so many intricate details throughout the Book of Mormon that strengthen my testimony of its truthfulness. For example, in my religion class, my teacher pointed out that in Hebrew, there are no commas or punctuation, so in order to separate items in a list, they use a symbol, which works the same way as the word “and” in the English language. Therefore, whenever there is a list of items quoted, the words are separated by “and” instead of with commas. This is also why many sentences begin with “And.” This is one small detail that is easily overlooked or may be taken wrongly by critics of the Book of Mormon who might say that a book written with so many grammatical errors could not have come from God. I testify that the Book of Mormon is true, that it comes from God and testifies of Christ, and that God uses imperfect humans to carry about His perfect work. As a result of this knowledge, I have a strong desire to share the gospel and bring others unto Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment