Saturday, January 28, 2017

Rejoice, O My Heart

                The past few weeks have been very difficult because for some reason I’ve felt very discouraged and frustrated with myself and my weaknesses. I was also constantly feeling tired as a result of a heavy homework-load and early-morning custodial job. As I was down in the dumps, I just so happened to read a chapter in the scriptures that related perfectly to what I was feeling. Isn’t God’s timing the best? I was reading in 2 Nephi 4 where Nephi says,
“Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard. Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities. I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me… Awake my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart…” (2 Nephi 4: 16-18, 28).
Nephi is such an inspiration to me because even though he has seen visions and miracles from the Lord, this passage illustrates that he too is subject to sin and depression, but he is able to overcome these feelings by turning to the Lord and gaining joy and peace. I was then able to turn to the Lord and gain a perspective of hope that everything would work out, that God was happy with me, and that I shouldn’t be too hard on myself. My doubts turned to joy, and I know it was only because I turned to God, just as Nephi taught through his actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment