Sunday, October 18, 2020

It's Fall, Y'all

 October 12 - October 18 2020

Monday: Nothing too crazy. I held office hours, spent a while grading papers, and doing homework. One blessing has been telling myself just to try. When I feel the pressure to have a "perfect" scripture study, I just tell myself that I am going to try to read them. I received so many insights this week about my calling and desires. 

Tuesday: It was nice to finally be able to attend classes again in person! I am not enjoying my meditation class as much anymore, but I am determined to try and enjoy it still. Although, I will admit that twice I've listened to an audio book with my blue tooth ear buds instead of meditating. I know, I need to repent. That evening, I stopped by the family that I used to babysit for to drop off the gift I made them months ago: block letters that said "Give Thanks." It was so good to get to see them again. Little Jack talks so much now! And he really wanted me to play with him down in the basement. It was good to know I am missed and loved by that cute kiddo. Also, since they were leaving out of town the next day for a couple of weeks, they gave me a bunch of food that would have perished--so that was super nice!

Wednesday: I went to the Health Center to check up with the doctor on how everything is going with my medication, and I finally feel like he has warmed up to me! And the nurse. They were so kind, concerned, and talkative! The nurse also slipped a flu shot into the visit, haha. Got love unexpected flu shots. But at least I got a Dum Dum Sucker on my way out :). I am really enjoying the beautiful leaves that are changing colors. There are trees with three to five different colored leaves, all in different stages of turning from green to brown. Fall truly is beautiful, though I think I still like Spring the best.

Thursday: Today was exceedingly long. Classes started and 8am and went on throughout the day, ending at 7:30pm. I should treat myself every Thursday night. During my 5 to 7:30pm class, I got to play the role of the mediator, where I help lead a Mediation between two arguing parties. They were fake scenarios, and two of my classmates had to act out their part. I thought I did pretty good, especially considering that we haven't gone over how to actually negotiate with two parties (which is pretty essential to a mediation...haha).

Friday: I had sooo much homework to do. I went to the HCEB to hold a test review for Behavioral Neurobiology. I then had the "Strengths Finder" meeting, where we met up and talked about our top five strengths. My number one strength was "Achiever," which means that I keep my word, I work hard until the job is done, and I do my best at it. One cool thing that I learned about myself from the activity was that I scored pretty high on the "Input" category, which basically means you are good at gathering information and sources, synthesizing them together, and then using that knowledge to help other people. I had no idea that this had a name! But it definitely fits me, and it's why I do so well with studying the gospel. I soak in as many insights as I can so I can help other people later. Same with my major. After that meeting, I had the privilege of chatting with one of my supervisors, Shelly. I got to show her different personal projects that I am working on. That afternoon/evening, I went with Whitney to the library to do some more homework. I also got a lot of chocolates from work to give to my friends.

Saturday: I took a test today. I went over to the HCEB. Fortunately the doors were unlocked! I studied and then took my exam. I worked on some other things for a bit before going home due to hunger. Then, I tried doing some more work. Around 3pm, I went with some friends to a pumpkin patch in Orem and we got some goofy photos! I was really appreciative of one of the guy friends in our group who was very kind to me.

Sunday: So, I wanted to look really cute today, but the time just flew by! I thought church was going back to starting at 10:30am, so Mira and I ran to church, just a couple minutes late. We were so confused because no one looked familiar. We peeked at the Bishopbric and they were not our Bishipbric! We realized church must still be at 11am, so we gratefully went home to eat breakfast, since we didn't have time to do so before. Haha, we were so embarrassed. But, I did look super cute today, so that's a bonus at least ;). I also got to chat with my mom over Facebook Messenger, and she stumbled across the effects and randomly turned herself into a dragon, followed by a bunch of other stuff!


Well, it's been a bit lonely lately, but I'm hanging in there, and I am so grateful for a Savior and Heavenly Father who are by my side. I loved reading this week in the scriptures about how Christ is our husband as church members because I remembered the role of a husband as defined in the Family Proclamation and within marriage classes I have taken, and it is to protect, preside, be there as an equal partner. Someone you can always confide in and love, and be loved in return. I've needed that closer connection to my Savior this week.

Much love,

Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment