Monday, June 12, 2017

Week 5 - A Ward Sent From Heaven

Hey Y'all!

I'm finally starting to pick up a slight southern accent! But don't try to tell any of the people here that they have an accent... This week was amazing! I have definitely felt all of your prayers for me, and the Lord has blessed me with so many miracles this week. One of these miracles is the Semmes Ward! I truly have a ward sent from heaven. They are the sweetest people, so willing to accommodate for my food allergies and always looking out for me. There is one elderly brother who has his hand out for a fist-bump or high-five literally every time we pass him. It is so adorable. He is a convert to the church and wrote the cutest poem about his conversion story.

On Monday, one of the young women in the ward, Rachel, went out tracting with us, and brought her non-member boyfriend along. It was hilarious to watch because he was fearless in going around and knocking doors, saying "I'm with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and we want to share a message about Christ." And he wasn't even a member! But he is very prepared and we will get to start teaching him the discussions this week. While we were out tracting, Rachel said, "This is like gospel trick-or-treating!" I replied, "Yes, but we're the ones giving out the treat!"

On Tuesday, the sweetest elderly couple took us up to Lucedale, Mississippi to visit some referrals we recieved. The couple would stop at places to buy us drinks and food, and whenever there was a beautiful sight, Brother Johnson would pull over, position his car, and roll down the window for us to get the perfect shot. We had quite the adventure, and the funny part was that they stayed in the car taking pictures of us "in action" (as they called it), knocking doors and having our heels nipped at by ferocious dogs.

Friday was amazing! We had the opportunity to hear from a member of the seventy, Elder Uceda at a half-mission conference. He was so powerful and loving as he totally called our mission to repentance. Elder Uceda spent a lot of time talking about how prayer is a gift from God, and that whenever he prays and realizes it is not sincere or that it seems like he is just talking to himself, he stops right away and tries again. I've started taking a moment before I pray to recognize what a gift it is and to feel the Spirit before I start. It makes prayer so much more powerful.

After the conference, my companion and I went on exchanges in Fairhope, Alabama. I spent the next day with Sister Jamison, and we had so many miracles that day. It all started with an awkward moment:
Someone named Bryce had requested to meet with the missionaries. We showed up at the front door, and his mom was outside. We found out that Bryce was only 13, and his mom didn't like the church and was not very happy to know he had requested to meet with us. She said, "I'll have to have a 'little' talk with him about this. Now I don't want to talk with y'all, so y'all need to start walking away. Go on." Then she literally shooed us away like flies. We decided to tract around the neighborhood, and a train of referrals happened! One man took a Book of Mormon, then referred his neighbor to us without us even asking for any. We were able to teach the restoration to his neighbor, who then gave us four more referrals. We found two new investigators and three more potentials, who all took Books of Mormon! I really felt the hand of the Lord in all of this, and even though this didn't happen in my area, I know it will as I continue to work hard and be obedient.

I was also able to receive a priesthood blessing this week from Brother Johnson, and it was so powerful. I felt overwhelming love from my Heavenly Father and was told that every negative feeling I had last week was the adversary trying so hard to attack me and keep me from this wonderful work. Thank you all for the support and love! Missions can be hard, but already I am seeing how rewarding they are! I know the gospel is true--I wouldn't be out here in Alabama with all the bugs and humidity, putting my education on hold otherwise. I am so grateful for the restoration of the gospel, something that I've taken for granted my whole life. How blessed I am to be born into an amazing family with the gospel! I am excited to continue to bring this joy and blessing into the lives of others!

Funny Moments:
A clever 10 year old informed me that we won't have belly buttons in heaven because a belly button is a scar.
A church sign on the side of the road that proclaimed: "Just because sin is legal doesn't mean it is right!"

Much love!
Sister Burnham


Courtesy of Brother Johnson, a photo of us "in action".

The back scratcher in Lucedale Mississippi! I actually tried to use it to see if it would work... then realized there was a restaurant full of people right in front of me, staring out the window at me. Awkward! 

Me with my mission president, President Smith, and companion, Sister Wall

A beautiful park and lake in Fairhope, where we taught one of Sis Jamison's investigators.

No comments:

Post a Comment