Sunday, March 22, 2020

Peace and Contentment in Turmoil

16 March - 22 March 2020

Hey there, fam!

When you're feeling content and comfortable, that's when you know disaster will strike—something that will come along, rock your world, and shake you out of your comfort zone. That's what I always heard. But our prophet has been sharing a different story lately. In the midst of hard circumstances, trials, adversity—you can experience joy. Joy comes from the focus of our lives, not the circumstances going on around us. I felt this personally throughout the past week. Were there times when I was lonely? Sad? Disappointed? Frustrated? Absolutely yes. But there were also frequent moments where I felt absolute peace, contentment, hope, and gratitude. I felt my Savior and my Father's presence and guidance. I felt hope and excitement for the future. A future that God is shaping. God, who is my Father, who has my best interests in mind. I truly do have so much to look forward to, and these bitter moments will only make the future good moments that much sweeter.

This week I said goodbye to my roommate Miranda. Her room is completely empty now, and the house feels a lot more emptier as well. In fact, I am often the only one home. Miranda LOVED the card I had everyone in the ward sign for her. She was so touched by it and said it helped give her some closure and that it was such an inspired thing to do (which I can confirm, because it was literal inspiration from Heaven one morning when I woke up and prayed for ways to serve others).

Classes are going well. My motivation to listen to the recorded lectures and do my assignment varies day by day, with some being more productive than others. But classes are going well! I got to lead out a group discussion on Wednesday for almost an hour. My giant research paper that got accepted all those months ago for publication is finally in the process of getting edited (which means that editors send their suggestions to me to fix up). It's a lot of work! It's made me question if I ever want to get published again! But I hope that it will be worth it in the end. Also, I went up to campus to study and had a classroom all to myself in the middle of a weekday! #CoronaVirus19


I feel so blessed to have Whitney (my freshman roommate) in my life. She is a literal godsend in my life at this time. We've hung out quite a few times this week because we are both in the same boat with having no family or roommates around. On Saturday, she came over to sing with me, then later that night invited me to a movie night (we saw the new Emma). She walked me home and we ended up talking for another hour and a half. It is so easy for us to talk about anything! We are quite the pair of goofballs, for sure!


Other highlights of my week: I've been working a lot on videos to post on my YouTube channel (I'm excited... y'all are going to be impressed with the new introduction and end screens). When I went out to practice jumps for my ice-skating assignment, I ran into two guys in the ward playing Frisbee (well, I went over to tell them not to think I'm crazy for randomly jumping and twirling in the air) and was invited to play with them for a bit. That was good because I'd been all alone that day at my apartment, so God sent me some company. Also, when I did get around to practicing my jumps, I was glad no one was around because I was SUPER terrible. I almost fell over so many times, haha. I also had a couple of really great talks with my roommate Katie throughout the week. She has taught me the importance of truly listening to my body. Sometimes your body needs a break or wants a treat, and you don't need to fight it all the time. Be in-tune with your needs, both physical, emotional, and mental.

Sunday was so good! I got to partake of the sacrament in my very own living room, courtesy of my FHE brothers. I got to listen to to my family's Sunday school lesson and learn some great things from my family that I was then able to use for when I helped teach Sunday School over Zoom for my ward here in Provo. It went SO well. All my fears immediately dissipated within five minutes of the call because so many people were willing to participate and we had over twenty people listening in. It was sooo good to see everyone in their homes and feel connected. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it! My heart was so full at the end with love and gratitude that it had turned out well, and I was sad to see it end, honestly. God is good. Because He is good, He blesses us. Even in the hard times (especially in the hard times), I feel His love.

Love you all SO much,
Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment