Sunday, June 14, 2020

Family Photos

8 June - 14 June 2020

I feel absolutely exhausted as I am sitting here typing this entry out for y'all, so I hope it's a good one! This past Monday, I was able to take family pictures of Whitney's family while they were all in town. In my mind, it was completely an act of service, but apparently they wanted to pay me $100! I was very shocked. It got me thinking though... there is some good money to be made doing photography. I have the camera, access to Photoshop and Box, so why not give it a shot? (No pun intended). I know it'll be a learning curve and that it will bring out a lot of my insecurities (such as: is my work even good enough to be paid for??), but I got nothing to lose, so I'm going for it. I'm going to do my research and work hard, and this can be a huge blessing in my life. 

Anyways, meeting Whitney's family was super fun. Her family is very cute and it felt like I've already met them before, even though it was the first time seeing them in person. But the other crazy thing that happened on Monday was that my water bottle spilled in my bag, getting my phone wet, so I stuck it in a bag of rice all day. It was interesting to be phone less all of Monday because it helped me see how attached to it I am becoming, which is NOT good. I felt so much more productive without it! And I even went shopping, just bringing a paper list.


Tuesday was a crazy day of watching kids because they all were not in a happy mood and didn't want to go to their swimming and sports lessons, but I survived! I ran with the little boy as he rode his scooter.

Wednesday. Just early morning custodial, talking with my counselor, and working. I did have a family foundations meeting. Eh, don't really remember much else so I guess it wasn't all that important :) How about I show you this new rock collection that was made on the side of the dirt on the way to the Smith Field House, by the tennis courts? Guess when you need work during Covid19, you find ways to be creative! When someone asks if I want to hike the Y, I'm going to start assuming this is the one they mean ;)


Thursday was filled with more babysitting after early morning custodial (the little boy is so cute. He loves to have me dress him up in super hero costumes). Then I had some one-one-ones with TAs, which was very enjoyable. I love getting to interact with other humans!


On Friday, I brought in the painting I did for my boss, Ben. He really loved it! I think it turned out pretty good, but there's no way I'm selling my art work because it takes waaayyy to long, so it wouldn't be worth it! Vincent brought us food in, which is super nice of him. It was a good thing because I didn't even really have time to eat before I went to the  Nixon's to babysit from 8:30 to 3pm. I got paid super well, though, and I got to swim for a bit with the kiddos at their grandma's house. It was funny because some people were decorating for Christmas inside since they will be filming part of a Christmas Hallmark movie in the house. It is honestly such a blessing that I got to meet the Nixon family. They are amazing and have been so so helpful to me. I did get super burnt outside though. I was going for a nice tan, but instead I not only got burnt, but apparently accidentally wiped sunscreen on part of my leg, so it was a splotchy burn! 


Saturday morning, I finished the second book in the Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson, and I am SO mad that book three will not be out until next summer!! Then I was working on some things when my roommate came home and said, "What do you do when you know you're not a failure but feel like one anyway?" It was such a simple, sweet call for help. I sat her down and hugged her (somehow kneeing her in the face in the process, cuz I'm just that skilled. Need a hug? Psych! Knee to the face!!) and rubbed her back and listened to her. Then we got on the topic of missions, since she is preparing to serve, and I got to share why I loved being a missionary and how missionary work has been part of my life way since I was in Junior High School, and my passion is still there. I told her many different things I learned and experienced, and while I won't mention all of it specifically, I did want to focus on how I felt. Powerful. Passionate. Close to the Spirit and to God. It was an amazing feeling and a good reminder that I am still a missionary. I have done many brave things without a missionary tag on, and I still can this day. Later, I had someone come over to be filmed for my YouTube channel, talking about suicide. It went well, but it was a bit of a heavy topic, so afterwards I went over to talk with Whitney and later that night we watched the first two episodes of the five hour long version of Pride and Prejudice. It was a great way to relax and unwind.

On Sunday, I was feeling a bit anxious and my roommate just played with my hair, which was so comforting and soothing. I don't always know what I will suddenly feel anxious and edgy, but I've learned to give myself space, be kind to myself, and really turn to the Lord. I went to my room and read in the Bible Dictionary and learned some really cool things that brought the Spirit into my life. As I was praying in my heart to feel someone with me, comforting me, I was overcome and I just told my Heavenly Father that I felt so weary. Immediately, a clear voice spoke into my mind, "Be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work." It was exactly what I needed to hear and I was overcome with gratitude. The work and effort I'm putting into making a YouTube channel as well as other things can be burdensome at times, without much reward, but I'm laying a foundation and it will one day be built upon. Just like those writing in the Book of Mormon had no clue how many people would later be reading their record, I have no idea how many people will watch and be touched and influenced by what I am doing. Besides, I get to meet some pretty cool people! Today I filmed a girl named Anna, and she was so great. We exchanged numbers and she even said she wanted to set me up on some dates! Haha, that's be pretty cool! Then I texted my friend Kathrine to come do some indexing with me, and it is SO much better to do it with a friend because then you can get help and laugh together when you come across something funny! Then I went on a mini photo shoot with Whitney and Lacee, and I realized how much harder it is to be a photographer. I will need to work on better directing people and have more poses ready. I also need to know when the lighting will be good because at 4pm, it isn't all that great. But oh well, at least I'm getting some practice! Afterwards, we came across a girl studying her scriptures named Hannah, and she told us how cute and kind we looked. We had a short conversation with her, and I felt inspired to share my YouTube channel with her and have her watch the video of different missionaries bearing their testimony. I don't know why, but I went for it. Maybe it will be influential in her life in some way. Then I went to a Come, Follow Me study group with Whitney and her friends for a bit.

Much love,
Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment