Sunday, April 10, 2022

Unexpected Bonus

 4 April - 10 April 2022

Wow, this week at work was crazy! So many phone calls and demanding people. My patience has never been shorter!! It was an insight about myself that was not fun to realize. I wore my CTR ring to work and I think that helped a lot, just a physical reminder to choose the right and God was with me. I looked at the ring a LOT this past week... haha. I am a little worried about next week, because classes start. I'm take three classes this quarter, more than ever before, and work is so crazy busy that I legitimately don't have any time to do anything else at work. But the Lord reminded me in my scripture study this week that His grace is sufficient. I know I can do all things through Christ. It's just easy to forget when the pressures of the world and your own anxiety is so loud that it drowns out the peace and assurance of Christ. Well, let it go down in history that gas is at an all time high. Blah. It's a small fortune to fill up the gas tank. 

Me talking a walk around the office complex, enjoying the sun on my face. It gets so cold in my office with the AC running and no sunshine for 8 hours. So I sometimes just go outside for a bit to re-center, and after this crazy week, I definitely needed this simple moment of enjoying God's creations.

On a happier note, Valerie and Lucy both loved my book. Valerie said it was SO good! That makes me feel marvelous and excited, like I really stand a chance at this whole author thing. I'm excited. A couple of other awesome things happened this week that need to be addressed. I've been praying for missionary opportunities, and nothing grand has come out of the woodworks, like the stories you hear about at stake conferences or general conference. But I did have a dream about an old friend who was outside in the rain and she came inside the church building where I was at (I think I was helping out with a young women's activity) and she was soaking wet, and I led her over to the fireplace to get warm. After waking up, I had the thought that I should reach out to her. I told her I had a dream about her, and it was super random, but made me want to reach out and see how she was doing. I found out she'd moved back to Gilbert, so I suggested we should meet up. We ended up having lunch at this yummy place (Berry Divine Acai Bowls, which felt more like dessert than lunch, lol) and talking. I'd heard from family that she had become inactive in the church, but I didn't know much about that, and she didn't mention anything about it. It was just good to chat and catch up and share about books we liked and our goals for the future. I think we are both in need of friends. 

Because of this lunch date that I had scheduled, I wasn't expecting to have to work Saturday. But Jen couldn't because she didn't have a car that day. Jill was able to cover for the morning, so I still had to head into work that afternoon, right after the lunch date. I was not super happy about having to work my fourth Saturday in a row, but once I got there, it was fine. Until it wasn't just fine... it was incredible! I was filling up my water bottle and my boss says from his office, "How do you spell your last name?" I was like, "Burn Ham" and spelled it out for him. Curious, I walked into his office, wondering why he needed my last name, just in time to see him fold a piece of paper and hand it to me. He said, "Have a nice day." I walked out and opened it up, and it was a check he'd written me for... ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! Um, talk about unexpected work bonuses. I didn't know what else to feel except for extremely grateful. I'd just spent over $6,000 that morning in tuition for school and stressing a bit about how much money I was going to need to make, and BOOM. The Lord blesses me. I think I am having a bigger impact than I even know at work. God is so good. He has blessed me greatly and is aware of my situation and desires. Also, Saturday morning, Lucy and I went to get our passport pictures... who knew they would cost $15 each? Oh well, I just hope we get to go to the Bahamas!!!

Me feeling so grateful and slightly bewildered after the bonus. 

Me looking cute for church.

Much love,

Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment