Sunday, February 9, 2020

Temple Worker

3 February - 9 February 2020

Monday
I awoke at 6:30 this morning and drove down to start my new job as a Peer Mentor! I didn't actually know what I was supposed to do at first, but I worked for three hours before heading off to class. I 100% recommend that everyone take SFL 376 (aka Healthy Sexuality). I did TA work that afternoon, then went down to my research class lab thing. Yup. Not a very exciting day... That evening for FHE, we just ended up talking instead of watching a movie, which was A-okay with me!

Tuesday
In my badminton class this morning, a guy asked me on a date! That came as a surprise, but I was actually very flattered. I am becoming more proficient at ice skating (my skates are nice now that they have been re-sharpened!) and am really enjoying the class! That evening, I was feeling a bit sad, but I was able to go catch the end of institute and learn about prayers and how to make them more meaningful. I was able to turn outward and talk with a guy from my ward and have a great conversation with him. I feel my ability of talking to guys growing. It is becoming a strength of mine, and that is truly a miracle and blessing from God.

Wednesday
Work is super fulfilling! I love feeling like I am part of something bigger than myself that is helping so many struggling students. After my class, I went and took my badminton exam (95%) and then went home to do homework before my evening class. One really cool thing that we discussed in class was this experience a lady had where she grew up in a home with an emotionally absent father, so it was hard for her to understand her Heavenly Father. One day, she prayed and asked Heavenly Father to teach her about His real character and nature and to remove any lies or misconceptions she had about Him. That was so inspiring to me, and I prayed that later that night and had a cool experience as I realized that sometimes I think God is only out to teach me hard lessons, but really He desires to bless me SO SO much because He loves me. Lessons come as a result, but He first and foremost wants me to be happy beyond my imagination.

Thursday
I took my Healthy Sexuality exam (100%) after my Neurobiology class. I also drove down to help Julia's kids practice piano, which then made me 30 minutes late to my Marriage Enhancement class, but it all worked out! I also had a wonderful talk with my roommate where she helped me SO much with some of the things I was feeling. One thing I realized was that I am afraid to ask for big blessings for fear of it not being God's will or not receiving it. I realized that is a lack of faith and boldness. When Joseph Smith went to pray, he had every assurance that he would see a Heavenly Messenger. Katie told me that it is important to ask God for the things I really want because I have been living a virtuous life and Heavenly Father really desires to give me those blessings. He will if I ask with confidence that I will receive them. And it's okay to be bold. Nephi was, Enos was, Joseph was.

Friday
I was so excited (and a teensy bit nervous) for my temple shift this morning! It was absolutely wonderful. I didn't realize how much I would love it, and a lot of that was because I have an amazing trainer. She is super spunky and funny, but also very spiritual and takes the ordinances so seriously. It was absolutely amazing to realize that I hold the power and authority to perform these eternal ordinances. So humbling. That afternoon, I went down to code marital videos and was reminded about the importance of believing that others can change. If you don't believe others can change in marriage, you are not only sending a message to your spouse that you don't believe in them or trust them, but also that you don't truly believe or understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I believe in the gift of repentance. People can and DO change overnight. I know from personal experience. I am so grateful for my Savior who gives me the opportunity to become a better version of myself each and every day. When I got home from that, I immediately went over to the church for a Relief Society activity, where we had a panel of boys answer any questions we had about dating. On the way home from the event, I was talking with two of the guys and remembered my assignment to give out 10 sincere compliments, so I asked if I could and they said, "sure." They lit up and were so happy after my compliments, and it made me feel so good in return. I need to remember the power that comes from a deep, genuine compliment to another! That evening, I had the special opportunity to listen to and comfort one of my roommates who is going through a challenging situation. It was amazing to feel the Spirit speak through me. I miss that feeling and need to remember that as well! Also, my temple watch finally arrived, only a day late!


Saturday
Well, we got completely smashed at our basketball game this morning. Not only was I having problems breathing, but everyone seemed a bit off their game today, and the final score was 11 to 58. Yikes-a-doodle. Welp. Yeah. So now I am so much more motivated to get in shape and want to run at least twice a week so I don't die during games. Afterwards, my friend Lexy took me out for a birthday lunch and we ended up talking for over two hours. She just got broken up with, and I was able to ask how she was doing and really listen. We also talked a lot about marriage and how it truly is our choice who we marry. God isn't going to force us to marry someone (especially someone we don't find attractive) because He has given us the agency to choose for ourselves. And then after we choose to marry that person, we choose to stay loyal to them everyday. I've had the opportunity to listen to and support so many people this week. It truly is an honor (and is so much better than talking about yourself). That evening, Isaac came over and I was able to talk with him and give him a big hug because he was also struggling. I'm grateful that I can be there to support everyone around me as they are going through such difficult things at this time.

Sunday
Church was really good. I was asked to say the closing prayer, and I wasn't actually nervous until I was standing up in front of the podium. I way overanalyze things, but it's something I am working on and I know the Lord is helping me. It was really good though. I was nervous because I wanted it to be sincere and heartfelt. And I'm so proud of myself because I talked to a cute guy at church today! Which, if you knew me last year... that is so not like me. I am coming a long way, and the good news is that there is hope that I'll actually get married one day because I don't avoid males anymore! ;) We had Come, Follow Me and I learned so many things. It was absolutely amazing. We talked about the power God has in speaking His words. He said, "Let there be light" and there was light. Likewise, as we pray, we have the opportunity to wax bold in prayer and approach His throne of grace boldly, asking for miracles, things we need or want. And He desires to give them to us if we just ask. By so doing, we are becoming like Him because our words have power to bring things to pass as well (through Him).

If there is one takeaway from this week, it is that the best parts of my week were the opportunities I had to minister and listen to other people. Even if it took hours from my week, it was well worth it and much more meaningful than doing homework. And God will bless me to accomplish all that is needful. After all, through Him, I've been able to maintain great grades and scholarships, even making it onto the Dean's list these past two semesters! He has me covered in the school department, so I need to be more anxiously engaged in helping others instead of homework!

Much love,
Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment