Sunday, July 19, 2020

Hope

13 July - 19 July 2020

Dear family and friends--but actually just family because I'm sure that my parents are the only only ones who read this. Maybe my sister too.  What is up?! I had a pretty great week, so let me tell you about it.

The beginning of the week was tough because I felt the weight of work and studies pushing down on me, but I am proud to say that I started exercising consistently and didn't miss a day Monday through Saturday! And let me tell you, I feel SO much better with exercise. Night and day difference. Well, okay, maybe just a sunset vs midnight difference. I have been going to the library each morning to study for the GRE, and the scary and frustrating part is that I'm not remembering much of what I study! I remember about two of the hundred words I studied: feckless and bowdlerize. If you don't know what those mean... come on now, get your act together! Just kidding... if you have no clue, then you are a normal human being that isn't being forced to study words that are (and never will be) used in everyday conversations. Monday night, I went along with Whitney to Vivian Park for her FHE bonfire activity, and I scoped out some good places for taking pictures.


 On Wednesday morning, I got to meet with the counselor again and we discussed different options I can take to progress and change how I've been feeling. One thing I've thought a lot about this week is how my greatest strength is also my weakness... but on the other hand, this weakness I have is one of my greatest strengths. My deep care and devotion for the gospel always me to be a great example to others, even if at times it creates a feeling of anxiety and worry. I bought a Pass of All Passes on sale for only $8, so for the next month, I get to go ice skating for free! It is not only good exercise, but stress relieving, so I decided that I'm going to take advantage of it and go as much as I can every week. So I went skating right after meeting with Marty. That afternoon, I stopped by the student health center, which caused me to miss my research team meeting. But the good news is that they want a small, focused group to finish up with calling participants, so I no longer need to help with it! What a glorious blessing! Now I am basically down to one part-time job, but it's just for a couple more weeks, and then I get to go home!

Thursday morning I went ice skating again! My daily workouts have actually been helping me to be a better ice skater. I am using an app called FitOn, and the instructors focus a lot on form and control. Being intentional and focusing on breathing. Now as I am skating, I focus on feeling my body and sinking into it... I don't know how to describe it, but it's really been good. Whitney and I also met up at the library to do homework side by side, then we went outside for a break.


On Friday, after studying at the library for a bit, I drove down to The Shops at Riverwoods and scoped out some more places to take pictures for tomorrow night. I also stopped by Rock Canyon on my way home to do the same thing, but was not as impressed with the scenery there.

Saturday was the best day I've had in such a long time. Four of my friends agreed to come ice skating this morning, and they were pretty good, and I got to help teach them some things. It was so fun, and I only fell once (but that's about all the abuse that my poor knees can take because they bruise and swell so easily). I found new ice skating buddies!! I was feeling so happy. That evening, I got to do a photo-shoot with Kara and her husband Conner. I realized that I have a lot of work to do and need to practice a lot more, but it was such a great experience. And, as I've been told, I can only improve from this point!


I don't know why I was so tired all day Sunday, but I was. I slept so much! Church was great--I loved to see all of my friends in the ward. My friends Vincent and Kathrine came over to do family history/indexing after church. I went to Come, Follow Me group, and it was huge! So many people came, and we had a good discussion. We played games again afterward. I actually really love this group of friends I found! Even if they were originally Whitney's friends at first, I feel like they have become mine. I have so much hope for the future because I am receiving the help that I need. I still have moments of doubt, guilt, or worry, but overall I am much more happier and hopeful. I smile and laugh more, I worry less about what others think, etc. It's a great adventure that I'm on.

Much love,
Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment