Monday, November 30, 2020

Turkey Walk

 23 November - 29 November 2020

Happy Thanksgiving week!

The first half of the week was super nice because most of my roommates had already left for home, and it's always nice to have the house to yourself every once in a while so that you can burst into song whenever you want. Plus, you have less distractions as you do homework ;).

On Monday and Tuesday, I spent a lot of time working on homework assignments, since I didn't have classes on those days. I also ran by the store to pick up something and decided to get some dark chocolate as motivation to do all the work I needed to! I also watched this super sad but good movie on Disney+ called "Clouds" that was based off of a true story.

Wednesday: I had a date with Braeden in the evening. We made dinner at his place, then talked and joked. He showed me that he was working on making a hammock out of plastic shopping backs, and then we tried lassoing with it. I was super bad, but somehow caught the nozzle of the spray bottle by knocking it over.


Thursday: A guy in the ward dropped me off at the airport, and to my surprise, my Aunt Symantha (with Lucy) picked me up! The flight went well (I didn't get motion sick and my ears didn't hurt!!) and I got to sit by a new mom who had her three month baby on her lap, and he was a cutie! Apparently, my family was starving! So by the time we arrived home around 1pm, everyone was anxious to eat! We had smoked turkey and of course a ham. Our neighbor, Amir, who was recently baptized and is taking lessons in our home, also came for Thanksgiving lunch. It was good to be back among my family, especially my two sisters. Look how cute we three peas in a pod are:



After eating the meal, mom left to deliver food to the old lady she ministers to and us three girls helped clean up. By the time we were done and everyone got back, I announced that we were all going on a Thanksgiving walk! My aunt said that was a great idea--so we could walk off the turkey and make room for the pie! Even dad and Sean came with us, and it was really fun. I was also really excited for dessert because Valerie had made me a gluten-free pumpkin cake! It was so good. Then we played games that afternoon (Skull Kings, which I did pretty good at, and Cover Your Assets, which mom dominated at). It was a wonderful day and I am glad I got to spend it among loved ones.


Friday: I worked a bit, went on a walk with Lucy and mom, and then worked on some homework. Whitney came over that evening with Kethura, and I showed them around the property and houses and let them try a bit of the smoked turkey. It was so fun to have Whitney come to my house! They were surprised by how short Sean made me look when he was standing next to me. After they left, I was working on homework again, when a distinct impression came to me to go and check on my mom. I went looking for her, but couldn't find her. I found dad locking up the chickens and asked him, and he said he locked up the workshop and hadn't seen her, but we went to the work shop and he unlocked it and turned on the lights, and we found her laying inside, crying. I was able to comfort her and get her the help she needed. It was a moment when I really felt that God needed me down here for this specific time to be a blessing to my family members. And of course, to be blessed by them, but it's good for me to feel like I am giving back as well. Later that evening, I watched Maleficent with Sean. He was so considerate in picking out a movie that I wanted to watch so we could watch it together. He even made us all popcorn.

Saturday: Mom and my two sisters left to go to Symantha's house in Florence. I stayed behind because I hadn't realized just how much homework I had due on Monday! It was good for the house to be empty most of the day so I could get a lot of work done. I finished up the rough draft for my essay! That was good. In the evening, the sister missionaries called and said they were short on time and wanted to know if we could feed them something real quick. We got together to-go containers filled with all of our Thanksgiving leftovers. They were very grateful.

Sunday: I attended the YSA ward with Valerie, Sean, and Aaron. It was fun to have all four of us in a YSA ward together. I also attended my Provo Zoom Sunday meeting, and then had a meeting for my calling afterwards. It was super fun to see a game I had made and prepared be put into action and work out so well! Aaron also took some pictures of me on his new fancy phone, and I also showed mom some features on our phone so she would like it better. That evening, Lucy, mom, and I went to grandma and grandpa's house. I got to see Kayla and her new baby, Jaylee. Lucy really wanted to play Skull Kings... she kept bugging us until we agreed. She even interrupted a video chat I was on with Braeden to let me know I needed to play with her! Haha, she is a keeper.




Much love,
Emily Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment